Saturday, September 13, 2014

Chasing Happiness


Have you ever heard someone say, “I’ve finally found it! I finally reached my goal and now I am forever happy!”? No, you haven’t. No one ever says that because that’s not how it works. Everyone is out there searching for happiness. That’s what they want to be when they grow up, that’s what they want when they purchase “stuff,” whether it be clothes, accessories, furniture, or electronics, even relationships; we want them because they make us happy. All we want is happiness. Happiness is the sugar of life, our brains crave it.
The only problem is… you will never find it! Happiness is not meant to be found! Happiness is meant to be lived. Right now. Right here. Buying more stuff will not make you happy and neither will throwing away all your stuff! Even reaching your goals will not make you happy! Something can make you happy for a few seconds, maybe for an hour, a day, or even a year, but happiness is a choice.
You. You have a choice. Are you going to choose to be happy? Or are you going to choose to follow the crowd and blame others for your struggles and your fears? Every day we have the choice to be happy and take control of our attitude. We can get up, take a deep breathe, and smile. We are still breathing, why wouldn’t we be happy? Your car broke down, your dog is sick, you got an F on your essay, your parents are mad at you, you have no friends, etc. None of that can hold you back from being happy. You have the opportunity to find the good in all of those situations.
Stop chasing happiness. Just BE it.


*Note I am not saying that I am perfect. I fall victim to chasing happiness rather often. When overloaded with schoolwork I tell myself I would just be happy if I could get this paper done, or this assignment finished, but deep down I know that’s not going to fix everything. This is just a reminder to myself and anyone reading that happiness is a choice, not an object to be found.
Be happy,
Liz :)



No comments:

Post a Comment