Friday, December 6, 2013

Why Do I Train?

Why do I train so hard? What motivates me to spend endless hours at the gym?

I want to prove to everyone who ever doubted me that they were WRONG! Nobody needs that type of person in their life, but everyone has one. That one person that never has anything positive or encouraging to say; the person who says hurtful words to try and bring you down. What they don’t know is that you are taking those pain filled words and turning them into MOTIVATION! You are training harder than you ever knew you could just because you want to show them how dumb they are. You want to prove to yourself that you are better than that.

I want to show my family that the hundreds of hours spent commuting me to the gym and back are so worth it. They are my biggest supporters; my family. They buy me supplements, weightlifting books, training clothes, and oly shoes. They listen to me rant about how everyone should lift weights, and preach that life is just better under the barbell. I want to show them that their support means the world to me.

I train hard to represent my gym and my coach well. The gym that contains my second family and home. My coach who has not only taught me how to snatch, but also the values of life. The lessons learned in the gym can’t be forgotten. Your coach sees you live through the barbell. The anger, happiness, sadness, nerves, excitement, and passion are all taken out on the bar. I want to show my coach that I was listening when he told me to never give up.

I train to show all my past coaches that they made a mistake when they put me on junior varsity instead of varsity. They made a mistake when they didn’t realize that I was a hard-working & talented athlete. Well they could sure use me now.


I will show the coach that always asked, “Are you working hard, or hardly working?” that I definitely was working hard. The same coach that called me a cheater; I’m proving to him that I know there are no shortcuts in life, and I love the daily grind. It’s what keeps me going.

I want to prove to the coach that believed in me that his time was worth it. The coach who helped me behind-the-scenes, while my assigned coach was busy yelling at me for my mistakes. The same coach that taught me that it isn’t all about winning. It is about having a strong team that has fun together, yet still trains their butts off.


I train hard to prove to all the people that think I am crazy that they are right. I am crazy. I lift weights in the morning, lift weights in the afternoon, and lift weights in the evening. Then I wake up and do it all again the next day. I do it Monday through Saturday, and on Sunday I dream of lifting weights. Mentally I am one with the bar. You could call me obsessed, and I would agree.

Li Xueying with her gold medal (some day that will be me)
The biggest reason I train hard is to show myself that I really can do anything I put my mind to. If I decide one day that I want to start a business or hike to the top of Everest (I want to do both) then I know that I can. I have faith in myself that I can do anything. I will prove to myself that I am not a quitter, I am a champion.


No comments:

Post a Comment