Thursday, November 14, 2013

Leaving Gymnastics

Something I wanted but never got was that I wanted to do gymnastics for four hours everyday after school. First problem: my coach was only there for a couple hours, and I was the only one on my team who was interested in staying, so she wouldn’t get paid for coaching just me. Also the gym I went to charged around $400 to train that much. I was so angry at the time. It was my dream to go to the Olympics, even though the odds were completely against me. I started gymnastics when I was 10, and I was short but definitely not built like an Olympic gymnast. I loved training hard and pushing my body beyond its limits everyday. All I looked at was gymnastics photos, read gymnastics books, and wore gymnastics clothes. My hair was precisely styled like a gymnast every day before practice, and my nail polish always matched my leotard. My parents just couldn’t afford this particular gym and I didn’t have the right support system to get me where I wanted to go.

Now I realize that yes, dreams should be extremely hard to reach, otherwise it would not be a dream, but sometimes you need to adjust your dreams (adjust, not lower your standards). People often say never give up on your dreams and I agree, but I would say never give up on the things you love. I thought I loved gymnastics, but after awhile I stopped progressing, got injured, grew taller, and gained weight. I made one of the hardest decisions of my life to leave my gymnastics family. I quit the sport that just wasn’t meant for me and tried something new. I joined a crossfit box, which was hands down the best decision of my life. This community of people with firm handshakes and chiseled abs welcomed me, they told me I belonged there. The coaches truly cared about each and every person that showed up. They modified an exercise if you were injured and they talked to you like a friend, yet pushed you as hard as a drill sergeant. I quickly became addicted and knew that I had made the right choice to quit gymnastics. I now have a huge group of athletes that I am proud to call my family. Each day we push each other, encourage each other, and set new personal records. I am truly grateful for finding Crossfit Progression and the Rochester Barbell Club.
Aly Raisman doing a back layout step out on beam at the 2012 Olympics

No comments:

Post a Comment