Thursday, February 13, 2014

Search for Happiness

Not too long ago I read a book about Buddhism. I’m not a religious person, but I was raised going to church on Sundays. In school I’d learned about the eightfold path and the search for enlightenment, so I decided to look more into Buddhism. I was hoping that after I read the book I would have all the answers, and my life would be perfect within a few days of practicing this new religion. That’s not the case, but this is what I choose to take from the book:


- Always have friendly thoughts about people and all other forms of life.
This and the next few are from the Eightfold Path. According to the Buddha these are the morals one must live by to overcome the craving for earthly pleasures.

- Speak kindly and truthfully while avoiding bitter words against anyone or anything.
We’ve all done it before; spoke ill of someone behind their back or maybe even to their face. We know it’s wrong, but we do it anyway. However, avoiding saying negative things to or about people will help you be more positive and think positive thoughts.

- One’s time should be used for self-improvement.
Don’t waste your time with negative self-talk or other self-harming activities such as drinking, doing drugs, cutting, etc. Instead try to find small ways to better yourself each day. I know I have a ton of things to work on like being more positive, letting things go, and not taking things personally.

- Earn a living in a way that will not harm others and doing what you love (I added that part).
Don’t let the world tell you who you have to be. Take what you love to do, practice it a little bit everyday, and don’t stop when it gets frustrating. At first you might suck, even if it is something you love to do, but if you keep going your work will become better quality and you will eventually find a way to make a living by doing what you love.

- Keep the right state of mind; self-awareness and compassion.
Practicing compassion towards others is a huge step in bettering yourself. People will want to talk to you and be around you if you act compassionately. Saying hello, remembering people’s names, and giving your full attention are just a few ways to practice compassion.

- Practice meditation.
Zen Stones
Meditation is a great way to heal the mind. I don’t know about you, but my mind is constantly busy with a million different things: my homework, to-do list, blog ideas, books to read, movies to see, who I want to be, what I want to be like, how to get better at this and that… Meditation is an easy way to give it a rest and let it have time to heal. Just like our bodies need rest, so do our minds. It won’t be easy at first, but it is recommended to meditate for at least 20 minutes a day. Clear your mind and focus on nothing, or try repeating your mantra over and over in your head. It is harder than it sounds!
I wrote this as a way to organize my thoughts. Take what you want from it, and I hope it will help you on your search for happiness.

-Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment