Sunday, January 19, 2014

Living The Dream

    It all started about a year ago, when I walked into Crossfit Progression for my intro session. I was crazy nervous and had no idea what I was in for. Coach Juli started by teaching me how to squat and other various barbell movements. I didn’t understand any of the Crossfit lingo at the time, and the only workout I’d ever seen was Fran. My mom decided I could try crossfit, but only if I quit gymnastics. I was a bit devastated, but I got over it pretty quickly.
I would spend an hour at the gym on Mon, Wed, and Fri, then 2-3 hours on Tues and Thurs. This wasn’t a huge deal for me, because in gymnastics I used to practice about 12-15 hours each week. I was always looking for some workout to do. If I had time when I got home from school I would sneak in a quick Jillian Michael's workout or a run before going to the gym (which I now realize was probably not the smartest idea).
Pic from the Pendlay Seminar
by Sherwin Samaniego
My favorite part of Crossfit was the Olympic lifts. I loved the feeling of having the barbell in my control. At the beginner’s lifting classes I learned what real weightlifting is; lat pull downs and squat jumps were not part of it. I guess you could call that weight training. Anyways, I thought Coach Nic was the coolest coach ever: he was always loud, enthusiastic, shouting encouragement, and he made the lifts very easy to learn. When I was finally allowed to do regular classes I was pumped. I got to push myself beyond my limits and set new PR’s.
In February there was a lifting seminar with Glenn Pendlay and Travis Cooper. I had no idea who they were and was pretty confused to why everyone thought it was a big deal that they were at our gym. Now I understand that they are like weightlifting gurus. At that seminar I think I was the only one lifting in tennis shoes. Glenn said something about getting real lifting shoes if you were going to be a serious weightlifter. So soon after the seminar I got a pair of Reebok lifting shoes. This was an exciting moment and led to multiple PR’s.
In March there was the MN LWC meet. Through talking to my friend Jack and asking him about a million questions I had a better understanding of how a weightlifting meet goes. I was confused when he said that they didn’t give points, instead you either make a lift with two or three white lights or you get red lights and the lift doesn’t count. I also learned who all the big name weightlifters were and how they trained. The meet was filled with personal records; we all had a good time. After the meet we got to have chicken fingers as a reward.
Later I found out that I had qualified to lift at the 2013 Youth National Championships, even though I didn’t know what that was. That was when I decided that I wanted to get really good at Olympic weightlifting. After that I started doing what Coach Nic told me too, instead of trying to max out every day (even though it was fun).
Last year I went to school 8 hours a day, just like a normal kid. I always looked forward to snow days and early releases – when I got to go train with Coach Nic and Coach Juli at 11am. In my mind they were (and still are) the most amazing weightlifters/coaches ever. I couldn’t wait until summer, when I could train with them everyday.
When school came around I knew I would have to wait until after school to train, unless I figured out a way to get there in the morning. In the end it worked out pretty well to do some online schooling. I have an insane schedule which includes riding in different transportation devices for about two and a half hours just to get to and from the gym. I don’t mind all the riding, but it can be pretty time consuming.
The coolest part is getting to lift with the coaches in the morning. I learn a lot from them, more than I could ever learn from hanging out with people my age. Although I do kind of miss my friends, going to football games, and eating skittles.
Pic from short film "The Artist and The Olympian"
Through being obsessed with weightlifting I have learned a lot. There are multiple podcasts, books, Youtube videos, Facebook, and Instagram accounts that have a ton of useful information. Not just on weightlifting, but on life. The people in this sport are a certain type of people. They are not people who are knocked down by anything or anyone. They are not people who give up when things get tough. No sport is easy, but weightlifting is different. I think the people who succeed in it must have passion. They must love the mental and physical struggles. Mental pain (training when you’re tired, feeling lonely, training hard when your shins are bleeding and bruised) and physical pain (being tired, always sore, little pains everywhere) are of course part of life, but we train through it. Weightlifters are the most powerful (fastest and strongest) athletes on Earth, so maybe I should suspect that it wouldn’t be easy to be one.
Right now I am living the dream; training about 20 hours a week (with some really amazing people too). There is 938 days until Rio, so I am going to make every minute count. I know that I will get to the Olympics; maybe in 2020 or maybe in 2016. I know that I will get there because I will not give up.



No comments:

Post a Comment